[dss-announce] Documentation of the 3rd digitalSTROM developer day

Rodriguez, Miguel miguel.rodriguez at aizo.com
Mon Sep 24 13:57:09 CEST 2012

Dear All

This year's developer day was a success thanks to the great participants that we had.  We want to thank you all in the  community for helping us having a great event.

The presentations are online under:
http://developer.digitalstrom.org/download/events/devday-2012-09-20/

The architecture documents can be found here:
http://developer.digitalstrom.org/Architecture/

The developer information is available in our digitalstrom.org web site under the Entwickler tab
http://www.digitalstrom.org/entwickler/

And for those of you looking for the VM for the openembedded environment.
http://developer.digitalstrom.org/download/build-support/build-vms/oe_build_appliance_20120924b.vdi.gz

You can find more information on using it below.

Kind regards

The digitalSTROM team

Development VM

This is a fairly full-featured VM, running lots of tools that would be on a typical developer desktop installation, such as:

   - the KDE Window Manager
   - gcc-4.5.4
   - glibc-2.15-r2
   - gdb + ddd
   - apache
   - firefox & konqueror browsers
   - strace, lsof
   - git, svn, cvsq
   - samba, nfs-utils, apache
   - a variety of tools for viewing & editing images & PDF's
   - Linux kernel 3.3.8 build from source
   - all dependencies for openembedded to build the dSS
   - Eclipse
   - lots & lots more...

Of course, there's all the dS Stuff as well:
   - pre-built openembedded environment
   - pre-build & installed dS485 stack (including ds485d)
   - pre-build dSS image

There are links to relevant documentation and apps on the first desktop screen seen.

INSTALLATION

The download is simply VirtualBox a hard disk image.  Not a full VM.
The VM settings must be created for this image.

This approach was chosen due to the difficultly of predicting resources
should be divided/allocated between the host and this guest.  RAM, VRAM,
number of processors allocated, etc. should be customized for every
install.  I could provide the VirtualBox .xml settings files from a
couple of well-functioning installs...

I found that it was also not-so-difficult to set this up on several
system during the developer day event.

Prerequisites:
   - VirtualBox (4.1.12 and 4.1.18 have been verified).  Other VMs
packages (VMWare, Parallels) may work
   - About 40 GB free hard disk space for the incompressed image, plus
some growing room
   - Proper hardware (it's been seen that an older AMD platform running
Ubuntu Linux cannot run this VM)
   -

Create a new VirtualBox VM
     - In the System/Processor settings, PAE/NX must be activated (checked)
     - IO-APIC is probably good to have (found in System/Hauptplatine)
     - Networking: the default NAT (along with port forwarding for
services) has been an acceptable networking solution for me
     - Bridging is another networking option which has been briefly
tested with positive results
     - port forwarding is nice to have (with NAT anyway) -- see the
command-line:
       'VBoxManage setextradata'
       (Protocol, GuestPort and HostPort must be set if using NAT config)
     - Audio: might be good to disable
     - no other settings besides the defaults should be necessary for
baseline functionality

OPERATION

Run the VM from either the GUI or headless, from the command line

Users can log in via root with the password 'dssadmin' or user
'dssadmin' with password 'dssadmin'

To start KDE:

   - log in as root
   - execute:
      /etc/init.d/xdm start

To compile the dSS-image
   - cd /projects/Aizo/dSS/dss-oe
   - source setup-oe-core.sh targets/dss11-1gb-devel
   - bitbake dss11-image

KNOWN ISSUES

  - no network on startup

    This versions has the udev persistent network interfaces enabled,
which causes problems.  Somehow when run on a new host, a new networking
interface is created, which is eth1, not eth0.  After being copied
multiple times, it will be eth2, eth3, etc...