[dss-developer] Change of ds485-stack

Patrick Staehlin pstaehlin at futurelab.ch
Tue Oct 19 18:10:45 CEST 2010

Hi!

We've just merged a branch into dss-mainline:master that makes the dSS use the
same dS485 implementation [1] as the dSM11 (currently under development) will
use. This means that you'll need to install this stack on your system in order
to follow the latest in dSS development.
The build-instructions [2] have been updated to reflect those changes.

/Break in backwards compatibility/

As the dS485 protocol itself has been changed while writing this library it's
not backwards compatible with dSM devices already deployed. If you're in
possession of a dSM you need to stick with release 0.8.0 or 0.9.0-alpha3. At
the moment there are no plans to make this library backwards compatible with
older dSMs.

Direct access to dS485 through the dSS has also been removed, this concerns
scripts using DS485 classes as well as the JSON call "debug/sendFrame".

/digitalSTROM reference platform/

Aizo is preparing to ship the "digitalSTROM reference platform" which contains
updated hardware [3] in December. If you're a digitalSTROM.org member you're
eligible to pre-order your kit by email (info at digitalstrom.org).

[1] http://gitorious.digitalstrom.org/ds485-stack
[2]
https://developer.digitalstrom.org/redmine/projects/dss/wiki/How_to_build_the_dSS
[3]
http://www.digitalstrom.org/fileadmin/USERS/ABLAGE/download/pdfs/digitalSTROM_reference_platform_handout.pdf
(German only, English translation will follow soon)

As always we're happy to answer your questions on this list.

Patrick
--
Patrick Stählin         Hardware Wrangler
futureLAB AG            tel: +41 (0)52 260 22 22