[dss-developer] Problem building dSS & dSS on Raspberry Pi

Markus Nicks markus.nicks at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 02:10:07 CEST 2015

Hi Christian

> Am 21.09.2015 um 10:01 schrieb Christian Hitz <christian.hitz at digitalstrom.com>:
>
> Hi Markus,
>
> On 18.09.2015 19:49, Markus Nicks wrote:
>> Hi,
>> while trying to setup dSS on a virtualized Linux (Ubuntu) following the
>> instructions on your wiki
>> (http://redmine.digitalstrom.org/projects/dss/wiki/How_to_build_the_dSS#Compilinginstall-digitalSTROM-Server-dSS)
>> I run in several problems. As I’m not very experienced in the C,C++
>> configure, make, … stuff I’m not sure whether these problems are related
>> to the somewhat outdated instructions or there are mistakes from my
>> site. May be someone of you experts can give me a hint what’s going
>> wrong looking at make output below.
>
> There was an error: we recently switched our git servers from gitorious to gitlab and the link to the ds485-stack libraries was still pointing to the old server. This is fixed now.

Ok, using the new gitlab repos instead of the old gitorious was clear so far ;-)
Just for information chapter "Install web interface“ also still mention gitorious which might not correct anymore

> As for the rest of the instructions: I just ran through them and they worked.

Starting a 2nd attempt on a plain vanilla debian (RPi) image I facing following challenges which might be worth mentioning on wiki page

[1] Additional to mentionend ds485-stack libraries, "dss-misc/libcommchannel“ is also needed
[2] It seems dsm-api has a dependency to lua which in my case was missing. As the installation (apt-get install lua5.2) doesn’t worked for me (may be because of a missing reboot?!?) I switched off the scripting capability (cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$PREFIX -DWITH_SCRIPTING=off) as quick fix
[3] Using "./configure --prefix=$PREFIX“ as mentionend while compiling dSS ends up with error […]configure: error: libdsm-api headers not found in requested location -api_search_headers. Running configure with additional parameter "--with-search=$PREFIX" works better.

>> Moreover I'm interesting in a running the dSS on a Raspberry PI and
>> using the dss11-1GB as gateway (dSS [on RPi] —> Network —> dSS11-1GB —>
>> DS 485 —> dSM). Might this a possible scenario or are there any reasons
>> why this doesn’t work?
>
> I don't see why this shouldn't work. You would have to "Enable support for additional digitalSTROM-Server" in System > System Settings on your dSS11-1GB.

That’s sound promising, but first of all I need a working build process ;-)

>> May be someone has already a running dSS RPi
>> setup and can summarize a short How-To?
>
>> In file included from ../src/ds485/dsactionrequest.cpp:27:0:
>> ../src/ds485/dsactionrequest.h:26:29: fatal error: digitalSTROM/ds.h: No
>> such file or directory
>
> The build is not seeing the required headers from the ds485-steck libraries. Have you installed ds485-core, libdsuid, ds485-netlib, ds485-client, dsm-api according to the instructions?

Yes, all mentioned libraries and also the in point of view needed „libcommchannel“ (see [1])

>> In file included from ../src/bonjour.cpp:30:0:
>> ../src/propertysystem.h:41:28: fatal error: boost/atomic.hpp: No such
>> file or directory
>
> Some boost headers seem to be missing. That's strange because configure actually checks for this header.

As the „configure“ step (config.log) looks in my point of view pretty much ok, the build is still broken because of not resolvable boost. Might this behavior belongs to the additional "--with-search=$PREFIX“ parameter while running configure (see [3])?

[…]
make[3]: Entering directory '/root/dSS/dss-mainline/build'
  CXX    ../src/libdsscore_a-backtrace.o
  CXX    ../src/libdsscore_a-base.o
  CXX    ../src/libdsscore_a-bonjour.o
In file included from ../src/bonjour.cpp:30:0:
../src/propertysystem.h:41:28: fatal error: boost/atomic.hpp: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
Makefile:1802: recipe for target '../src/libdsscore_a-bonjour.o' failed
make[3]: *** [../src/libdsscore_a-bonjour.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory '/root/dSS/dss-mainline/build'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/root/dSS/dss-mainline/build'
Makefile:448: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/root/dSS/dss-mainline'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Regards,
Markus.