[dss-developer] Question about dss

Patrick Staehlin pstaehlin at futurelab.ch
Tue Aug 24 13:25:37 CEST 2010

Hi Xue!

On Monday, August 23, 2010 02:48:57 pm Xue Chen wrote:

> 1. now I used Linux in VMware Fusion, I have done a test according to "How
> to build the dss", but when I executed the command "cmake ..", it don't
> have the directory in "/usr/share/dss/data", where do I do wrong?

That's the standard directory compiled into the dSS you can change that by
specifying another default on the cmake command line -> see [1]. You can also
specify the directories location on the commandline (-> ./dss --help).

> 2. I don't have the "create_cert.sh" in tools directory, I used
> 0.9.0-alpha1, how should I do when I need to generate a private key and a
> certificate?

We've taken out the SSL support for the 0.9.x series as there were some
problems with it on our embedded target. Just skip that step.

> 3. How can I control the devices through the website or application(I used
> Aizo Demokoffer dSK20)? Can you give me an example?

Assuming the dSS is running: browse to http://localhost:8080/setup.html and
you should see your devices there. For this to work you'll need a valid data
directory with web-sources installed.

> 4. Can I compiled the code with eclipse? How should I do?

You could try but I guess you'd have to add a custom make target. Afair
eclipse doesn't have proper integration for cmake.

> 5. the last silly question : )
> it has many c++ code in the directory(e.g. in "core"), is it used to build
> a application(software) or all for build the Website(websrc)? How can I
> use it build my own application or website?

You can put your websites into data/webroot/ and access them on
http://localhost:8080/

[1]
http://developer.digitalstrom.org/redmine/projects/dss/wiki/How_to_build_the_dSS#Options-
for-CMake

I'm going to be on holidays staring tomorrow but I'm sure the other team
members will answer any follow-up questions you might have...

Hope that helps!

Patrick
--
Patrick Stählin         Hardware Wrangler
futureLAB AG            tel: +41 (0)52 260 22 22