[dss-developer] dSApp Programmierung: erste Schritte

Dieter Stokar dieter.stokar at usility.ch
Mon Mar 7 10:57:15 CET 2011

Hi Johannes

> Changing the shell user's password can be done by running 'passwd'; if you want to be perfectly safe, try logging in with a second ssh session to verify the new password before you log out of the original session.

Thanks!
Unfortunately, it doesn't work quite like that, i.e. I get an error message:

dssadmin at dSS11-sto:~$ passwd
Changing password for dssadmin
Old password:
Enter the new password (minimum of 5, maximum of 8 characters)
Please use a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers.
Enter new password:
*** glibc detected *** passwd: free(): invalid next size (fast): 0x0001f908 ***
Aborted

I'm not sure whether it's a problem of insufficient permissions. I didn't dare to try it for root.

BTW, 'su root' works. But having root without a password seems somewhat delicate too.
Could and shouldn't I change that password as well?

It's not an urgent issue, just something to sort out over time.

Cheers,
Dieter