[dss-developer] Event Acknowledge

Patrick Staehlin pstaehlin at futurelab.ch
Fri Jul 9 09:50:04 CEST 2010

Hi Dominik!

On Thursday, July 08, 2010 11:35:52 am Meier Dominik wrote:

> When I release an event with the dSS, is there any confirmation or
> acknowledgment that the event has been processed by a dSID or not? Do I
> have to care about it or is this service provided by the communication
> protocol between dSM's and dSID? What happens if an event does not reach
> an end device? Is there any Layer 4 (end to end error control)
> functionality provided in the protocol?

At the moment there is no way you could check if the device is turned on or
off. We might be able to check the output value of a chip (0x00 or 0xff) but
that won't tell you if the device is really connected to this chip or
consuming anything.
Checking this would mean extra traffic on the bus as each device has to be
asked whether it's turned on or not. If you have a Zone with 20 devices you
might be looking at a delay of a minute where the bus is saturated (from the
top of my head, no guarantees on those numbers).
I assume that there is some sort of forward error correction built in the
protocol so I'd say you don't need to worry about that.

> I just want to be sure that a device turns definitively on or off if I
> release an event :-)

As we are approaching a market ready solution this should and will be the case
on each transmission. The guys at aizo are really putting an effort in the
communication protocol to ensure that it's working rock solid.

Patrick
--
Patrick Stählin         Hardware Wrangler
futureLAB AG            tel: +41 (0)52 260 22 22